[TowerTalk] 80 Meter Hybrid Triangle Loop

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter Hybrid Triangle Loop
From: K0PYK <k0pyk@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 04:02:42 -0800 (PST)
Tower Talk'ers,
I put up a 80 Meter Hybrid Triangle Loop (vertical
loop) the other day.
Preliminary testing shows 5:1 swr and higher. I cut it
for 3.55 MHz, using 1050/f. 295 feet long. So it will
play at 7.1, 14.2 and 28.4. I put a 1:1 current balun
on it to start with. It had screw terminals for easy
connection in the dark.
The configuration is, from the connection point...40
feet up vertically...120 feet cross the top
horizontally...them angle back down to the connection
point. I am gone for the weekend to the cabin, but
when I return I would like to have a plan of attack.

My thoughts/questions as follows;
* I have seen different formulas thrown around...Is
1050/f the correct one for this loop?
* What is the best way to feed this loop? Coax, ladder
line, 1/4 wave 72 ohm...etc. I have a tuner in both
rigs.
* On my other 40 meter vertical loop, I used a 1/4
wave of 72 ohm coax...seems to load real well on all
the bands. I have read that a 1/4 wave of 72 ohm coax
makes it a single band antenna...but I have excellant
results using it as a multiband. This antenna lays
n/s, so plays well e/w. The new loop lays e/w, so am
looking for n/s coverage.
* The piece of RG8 coax is older and may be bad or
less than desirable...How do I test? I could switch
coax from a different antenna. It was handy at the
time.
* I have ladder line on hand. Can I use a 1/4 wave of
ladder line as a matching transformer...If so...what
is the formula?
* I could use ladder line and then a 4:1 balun?
Thanks in advance.
Tom K0PYK

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com