[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G and Ice Loading

To: TowerTalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G and Ice Loading
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:48:37 -0800 (PST)
To start a new thread.....

Last week, we had a ice storm come through Southcentral Kansas that snapped
power poles, limbs and branches and trees like they were tooth picks.  My
TH6DXX hung in there and drooped like a centipede...but sprung back horizontal
after the ice melted.  The dipoles came down (ropes broke - I should replace
the parachute cord with new stuff...it is more than 20 years old with a lot of
knots) and they had about 3/4" of ice on them.  The tower was covered with at
least 1/2 inch of ice or more.

What has been the collective experience of those of you who have ice where you
live as to what it takes to bring down Rohn 25G?  Luckily we did not have wind.
 So, what have been some experiences?

Lee Buller - K0WA