Re: [TowerTalk] Weatherproof Sealant

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weatherproof Sealant
From: GALE STEWARD <k3nd@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 05:42:47 -0800 (PST)
As a side note to sealing outdoor enclosures -

Years ago one of the OTs mentioned that fact the he
used moth balls to keep insects out of outdoor
enclosures. I have a matching network for my 80/160
vertical. See:

http://www.dl1iao.com/album/k3nd99/5.jpg

Every summer I used to get ants building in the thing.
I placed a small plastic cup with half a dozen moth
balls in it inside the enclosure. Never had any insect
problems again. The moth balls appear totally
compatable with the "large" electronic compoments in
the box. I've been doing this for 15 years or so with
absolutely no problems.

73, Stew K3ND

SNIP

> In my former life as an engineer, it was agreed that
> keeping water out
> of enclosures was difficult.  When possible, we
> designed enclosures with
> drainage and ventilation (and screening to keep out
> the critters).

SNIP

http://mail.yahoo.com