[TowerTalk] Grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding
From: "C. Dwight Baker" <cdwightbaker@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:47:11 -0500
TT:

Here's the situation.  I have a tower that is 130 feet from entrance to my
shack and it is connected with a 3 inch plastic pipe. I am running 2 LMR-600
coax, rotor control, and 2 antenna switches on the tower.  Should I run a #4
bare copper ground wire inside the pipe from the tower to the SPG at the
entrance to the shack; run the copper wire along side of the pipe or just
ignore the #4 connecting the two together?

Further, the tower legs are grounded with 3 inch copper strap at about 25-30
degree angle from the tower to 8 feet copper ground rods about 8 inches
below grade and the rods are connected with 3 inch copper strap.

Lightning is my main concern.  Advice from all you wise sages please.

Dwight