[TowerTalk] dumbing down

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] dumbing down
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:35:05 +0100 (BST)
I think we need to be a little careful that the baby
does not leave with the bathwater.

For example, I am quite confident that the CFA antenna
does not work as its inventor describes. Nevertheless,
that inventor is a Chartered Engineer and academic
with considerable practical and theoretical knowledge
of antennas who was assisted by PhD students. I just
think that in this instance he let his enthusiasm for
a new idea overtake reality. The same can be said for
the (continuing) disagreement between (different)
academics over the practical efficiences of small loop
antennas. There have been many other examples, but it
is (just) conceivable that one day somebody will
invent an efficient hf antenna that happens to fit in
a cornflake box. We have to be careful that if that
happens the idea is not rejected out of hand by a
reviewer who perhaps knows less about the subject than
the inventor.

I grieve the fact that none of the amateur radio
magazines regularly present the sort of technical
article that was commonplace a few years ago. But I am
sadly certain that I am in a small minority.

73 Roger
VE3ZI