Re: [TowerTalk] Emergency Generators - Rules

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Emergency Generators - Rules
From: "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 16:58:48 -0400
Norm W4QN Said:

> One caution on your assumptions below.  Check with local
> authorities on generator locations, pad requirements and
> noise rules.  Many have requirments that it must be a poured
> pad, specific locations with respect to property lines and
> windows and tough noise levels 45 to 55db and the typical
> 15kw generator is
> 68 to 70db unless one of the QUIET models.   Also LP gas tank
> locations are
> another factor that is likely to be specified.

Fortunately, our county ordinances are still based upon this having been an
agricultural area (until about 15 or 20 years ago). My house is on 9 acres
in the unincorporated area of the county that are zoned agricultural; the
nearest house is around 800'. As the generators, aside from weekly
exercising, will only be run during extended power outages, the noise
shouldn't be a problem. (I don't recall hearing of any noise ordinance
violations for generators being issued after last years' hurricanes- at
least not around here hi hi. Our noise ordinance doesn't specify a dB level,
just a reference to being "excessive".)

I've already contacted the local gas company and will be burying the tank in
the yard about 30' from the generators. (The generators and the tower will
be enclosed in a 6' privacy fenced area.

Tnx,
Doug
K4DDR