Re: [TowerTalk] KT-34A Tuning Problems

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] KT-34A Tuning Problems
From: David O Hachadorian <k6ll@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 13:47:36 +0000
On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 00:21:44 -0500 (CDT) Karl Bullock <karl@dixie-net.com>
writes:

> 15.22 MHz - 1.6:1 SWR
> 21.97 MHz - 1.2:1 SWR
> 29.35 MHz - 1:1 SWR

> I even replaced the existing balun with a home-made coax balun.  No
> change.  Feeding direct with no balun doesn't change resonance
> points.

>From the TT archives:

Connect a dc ohmmeter between the 10 meter and 15
meter trap capacitor outer tubes on each element half.
After correcting for ohmmeter lead resistance, the
total resistance should be less than 0.5 ohm. This
one measurement tests all of the critical connections
on each element half.

Then connect the ohmmeter across the two halves of
the rear driven element. Once again, it should read
less than 0.5 ohm. This one measurement tests all
the connections through the phasing straps, matching
assembly and balun.
That's a 4:1 balun on there, so when you fed the antenna directly with
coax, the swr went very high, right? Try using a real swr bridge instead
of the analyzer. Make sure the antenna is high enough during these test
measurements.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA