[TowerTalk] Yagi lightning protection

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi lightning protection
From: "Dave Anderson, K4SV" <davek4sv@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:29:37 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All,

I wonder if any of you have this problem and how you
solved it.

I have a Force12 EF240/230 a 2 element 40 and 2
elements on 30 meters on the top of my tower.  Due to
the narrow bandwidth I am using a relay box provided
by F12 that allows switching between the CW end of the
band or SSB end by adding or removing additional
inductance.  When the relay is de-energized it is in
the CW band.

I had a direct lightning hit on the tower, no damage
in the shack due to massive grounding but it appears
the relay contacts on the 40/30 yagi has been welded
closed.  I can energize the coil and it draws 160 mA
like normal but no physical movement of the armature.
To be sure I will check when a bucket truck becomes
available.

So here's my question, Is there a way to protect the
relay from damage when lightning hits?  I suspect
lightning hit one side of the element and the other
side of the element arced to the boom which is
grounded.  The relay contacts were in the middle.

Any ideas?

Dave K4SV...

Yahoo! Mail