[TowerTalk] Gin pole design - swivel head?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gin pole design - swivel head?
From: "Mark" <n1lo@netzero.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:28:06 GMT
Hello TowerTalkers,

 I was doing some tower work recently and was having trouble keeping the rope
running as free as I would like through the pulley head. I am using a gin pole
based on the GP-81 kit from W9IIX (http://www.w9iix.com/ii00008.htm), with some
modifications. I replaced the flat-faced pulley sheave with a rounded-groove
sheave having a bronze bushing.

I found that the rope ran significantly more freely if I turned the pulley
opening toward the tower during section attachment/detachment, and toward the
landing zone on the ground during the lifts. I was turning the gin pole mast
manually in the clamp about 180 degrees each time. I'd like to have this
automatic without having to loosen the mast clamp.

 Have any of you converted your gin poles with a swivel arrangement? How did
you accomplish it mechanically?

Thanks for your suggestions,

--...MARK_N1LO...--

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!