Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L on three low bands

To: Tom Osborne <w7why@verizon.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L on three low bands
From: Nick Pair <daweezil2003@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 00:39:48 -0700 (PDT)

Tom Osborne <w7why@verizon.net> wrote:     Hi Nick

Sounds easy and good. One question--the vertical part of my 160 'L' goes up
in a tree about 70 feet. What would I have to do, go up about 40 feet and
add a 25 foot wire there for 80?
Tom W7WHY

O.K. Tom,

  I now see all that is involved with your particular setup. Previously I had
assumed(there is that word again !) that you had less than 1/4 on 80 vertical.
  Sounds like you have 70 vert. and about 70 or so horiz.

  Try to keep the vert. wire as far from tree trunk as possible as trees eat rf
as well as they do kites.

  What you describe would work but if you can lower the point where the antenna
makes it right turn, you can make the vert. section a fan type radiator with
the spread of about 4 inches between each or a triangle shape with round
insulators.

  Another way to use what you have is to force feed the L on 40 and 80 with a
ATU. The imped. on 80 would be somewhere in the low 4000's and on 40 somewhere
in the mid 1000's. Use of radials for each needed with more better if on ground
and 4 or so O.K. for above the ground a foot or more. This gives you some gain
over the first method but at the expense of a base mounted ATU. A dc ground is
needed as well as your radials.

  Good Luck.
  Nick
  WB7PEK