[TowerTalk] Crankup tower gearbox lube question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crankup tower gearbox lube question
From: <k4zrj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 11:00:20 -0400
I have an old Tri-Ex HZE-354 motorized crankup tower with a 40:1 ratio gearbox
turned by a 1 HP motor. When I bought the tower, the gearbox was empty - no oil
or grease of any kind inside - I guess from the staining on the gearbox, it had
leaked out over the years. I have filled the gearbox with a mixture of SAE 90
gearlube oil and black lithium grease. It turns quietly and smoothly and leaks
very little. There is a pressure relief fitting on the top of the gearbox.

My question is this: what do others recommend in this situation, and what do
the manufacturers of towers fill the gearboxes with - lube oil like SAE 90,
lighter weight oil like SAE 30, gear grease? The gearbox does get warm when
lifting the tower and I'm a bit concerned that the lubrication could be
improved. The tower goes up and down quite often, four or five times a week
depending on how many thunderstorms we have.

Thanks guys for your comments - always appreciated.

73, Charles, K4ZRJ, Woodstock, GA