Re: [TowerTalk] Ground for screwdriver antenna

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground for screwdriver antenna
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:44:08 -0700
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:18:41 -0400, Donald Inscho wrote:

>I have tried to screw the antenna rf  ground to different
>part of the car body but I have little change.

The likely problem is that various parts of the body have poor
electrical bonding to each other, so your antenna is working against
only a small part of the car's body. You may make a solid connection
to one part (for example, the bumper), but it may not be bonded to
the rest of the body. On my Volvo, I found that the trunk lid was
not bonded to the body, so I had to bond around the trunk hinges. On
my Toyota Sequoia, nothing is bonded to anything, so it needs
bonding straps EVERYWHERE! A real train wreck on HF.

Jim Brown K9YC