Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Distance From Shack

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Distance From Shack
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:39:02 -0700
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 22:25:04 -0400 (EDT), donovanf@starpower.net
wrote:

>Here are the loss figures in feet per dB

While cable loss is certainly an issue, there are many other
elements in the equation. Will the more distant location provide
significantly greater elevation, a better takeoff angle (HFTA
analysis), or a shot over/around an obstruction? If so, that
LOCATION may ADD 10-15 dB.

Also, remember that one of the great benefits of directivity is the
rejection of receive noise, where cable loss is meaningless. During
the recent IARU contest, The guys down in Brazil had solid signals
on 80 meters, but I couldn't work some of them with 500 watts and a
dipole broadside to them. The reason was their receive noise, not
their signals to me, which were easily 12 dB above my noise level.
Many of the guys in cities like Chicago stuck with wire antennas on
small city lots can't work the DXpeditions because they can't HEAR
them.

My point is that while minimizing cable loss is certainly important,
it isn't the whole story.

Jim Brown K9YC