Re: [TowerTalk] cheap hams

To: "TOWERTALK@contesting.com" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cheap hams
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:31:40 -0700
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:59:17 -0500, Keith Dutson wrote:

> What did I leave out?

You've only listed tower hardware at retail, which totals $4,800.
Add taxes, typically 8%, plus shipping, 8% is probably a low number
for stuff like this. Now we're up to $5,500. The antenna isn't free.
Add $1,500 plus the same tax and shipping. In most jurisdictions,
the design must be done (and stamped) by a licensed structural
engineer. These guys typically charge $150/hr. I'd allow $500-$1K.
Permits. $200 if you're lucky. By now we're at about $8K.

And that's for your hardware laying on the ground. Most of us are
going to have to pay for at least some of the labor to get it up in
the air.

Add to your list of hardware some ground rods, grounding hardware,
and lightning protection devices at both ends of the coax. $200,
plus tax and shipping.

The number I'm carrying around in my head is $10K for a properly
done tower and antenna, and I may be low.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC