Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Source of #31 Material Toroids?

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Source of #31 Material Toroids?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:11:22 -0800
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:25:09 -0500, Jeff Maass wrote:

>I know that some folks made a mass purchase a while ago, but I have
>yet to find a place where I can order some #31 material toroids.

>Can anyone help?

I was one of the ringleaders for that first big group purchase a year
ago, and a big club here in the Bay Area is currently taking orders for
another one. I don't think the guys doing it are willing to ship them
though. It's a lot of trouble, since ferrites are brittle and break
easily.

A group purchase is quite easy to do if you have enough quantity to 1)
satisfy vendor requirements and 2) get the price down. A list of
distributors is on the Fair-Rite website. Think in terms of spending at
least $500, and more is better. You'll get the unit price below $2 at
1,000 pieces. You are looking for Fair-Rite part number 2631803802. (31
indicates the material, the rest of the number describes the size and
shape of the part).

At http://www.fair-rite.com   click on the link for distributors. I've
happily done biz with Kreger (Roanoke), and others have been happy with
Lodestone (west coast). The catalog houses (Mouser, Newark, Allied) and
vendors like Amidon tend to be a lot more expensive.

Fair-Rite has an EXCELLENT on-line catalog, which you can download as a
pdf. It includes graphed data for all of their parts!

73,

Jim Brown K9YC