Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)

To: "'Donald Chester'" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Grounding (Lightning Protection)
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 16:37:50 -0500

Hi Don,

Lightning peaks around 1 MHz but extends well into VHF. A 160 meter ground
system will take care of the bulk of it.

In some types of soils placing ground rods on the radials has shown some
improvement in lightning dissipation over just a radial system as broadcast
stations use. The idea of the ground rods on the radials is to cause arcing
deeper in the soil to increase conduction. This is most effective with very
dry soil in the area as I recall. The ground rods will also help with
conduction of the near DC component in lightning with difficult soil types
also.

73
Gary  K4FMX