Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Selection Advice Wanted - Heavy Duty

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Selection Advice Wanted - Heavy Duty
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 00:13:41 -0500 (EST)
Rick,

I installed two M2 Orion 2800s in 1998, they've very reliably turned
a 48 foot boom 15M Yagi on a 200 foot tower, and a 48 foot boom 20M
Yagi on another 200 foot tower.  Both of these rotators take a serious
beating in the wind with no difficulty at all, and there's no reason to
baby sit them by pointing the antennas into the wind etc.

I use a "small" prop-pitch on another 200 foot tower.  It easily turns a
full size 3 element 48 foot boom Yagi.  The wind load of this large
antenna is slightly larger than the wind load of a MonstIR.  I wouldn't
even consider trying to turn this antenna with a M2 Orion 2800, it
produces far too much wind load for a mid-sized rotator.

The initial symptom of an undersized rotator is boom slippage in
moderate winds.  Redesigning the manufacturer's mounting clamps will reduce or
eliminate the slippage, but result in destruction of the
rotator in high winds.

None of the above suggests that there's a problem with the M2 Orion.
I own four M2 Orion 2800s, and I'd purchase more in a flash when I need
them. Its an exceptionally reliable rotator for all but the very
largest antennas, for which it was never intended.

The MonstIR is in this class of very large antennas that requires a
large rotator, such as a small prop-pitch, or -- based on favorable
reports here -- a large rotator such as the Prosistel 67 or the
Yaesu 2800.

On a related note, the 2 inch mast commonly used with MonstIR installations
presents a serious mast slippage problem for almost any
clamping system.  If you can substitute a 3 inch mast, you'll have a
much improved installation.

73!
Frank
W3LPL