Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk] TriEx (Tashjian) Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk] TriEx (Tashjian) Tower
From: k1vr@juno.com
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:02:14 -0500
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:02:26 -0700 Dino Darling <dino@k6rix.com> writes:
> I'm certainly not saying that the specs are "no good".  What I'm
> saying is that they will not be accepted by those handing out permits.
>
> Dino  -  K6RIX dino@k6rix.com

SECTION 106CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS106.1 Submittal documents. Construction
documents, special inspection and structural observationprograms, and
other data shall be submitted in one or more sets with each application
for a permit.The construction documents shall be prepared by a registered
design professional where required bythe statutes of the jurisdiction in
which the project is to be constructed. Where special conditionsexist,
the building official is authorized to require additional construction
documents to be prepared bya registered design professional.Exception:
The building official is authorized to waive the submission of
constructiondocuments and other data not required to be prepared by a
registered design professional if itis found that the nature of the work
applied for is such that reviewing of constructiondocuments is not
necessary to obtain compliance with this code.A city, town, village or
county which is responsible for administration and enforcement of this
code,shall determine the submittal and review of appropriate documents in
accordance with the applicableprovisions of local law.A state agency
which is responsible for adminSECTION 106CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS106.1
[...]
admin106.1 Submittal documents. Construction documents, special
[...]
accordance with the applicableprovisions of local law.SECTION 106
[...]
accordance with the applicableprovisions of local law.CONSTRUCTION
[...]
applicableprovisions of local law.106.1 Submittal documents. Construction
[...]

Source:  http://www.gorr.ny.state.ny.us/IBC.pdf

Conclusion:  Try to convince the Building Inspector (in some states known
as the Building Commissioner) that
"the nature of the work applied for is such that reviewing of
construction documents is not necessary to obtain compliance with this
code."

If s/he doesn't like you, if s/he does nothing without a fully papered
file, or whatever, s/he can require just about any documentation s/he
wants. You can appeal (legal costs), or document (document costs). The
unlucky face both legal and document costs.

Those who say the old specs on a used tower are good, because the laws of
physics have not changed, are correct -- the specs may be good. But
that's not the question.  Those who say that "old Specs" will not be
accepted may also be correct.  But that is also not the question.  The
question is:  What does this particular Building Inspector require of the
applicant for a building permit in this instance? I have seen building
inspectors accept catalog "cut sheets," catalog specs, "dry sealed"
drawings, and I have seen building inspectors require new, "wet seal"
specs. The IBC grants great freedom to the Building Inspector as to what
s/he requires.

There is no harm in being nice to the B/I from the outset.

Fred Hopengarten, Esq. K1VR        hopengarten@post.harvard.edu
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
781/259-0088; FAX 419/858-2421
www.antennazoning.com