Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking 204BA's

To: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking 204BA's
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 21:21:01 +0000
At 01:51 AM 3/7/07, Bob Maser wrote:

>I agree with you but I am in the process of optimizing a 205BA,
>which, as you know, has a 34 foot boom.  I can get better numbers by
>making it a 4 element than leaving it as a 5 element, and boy, can I
>get better than the original 205BA numbers using YO 6.5.  BTW, can
>you tell me what differences are there between 6.5 and 7.0?  I have
>not been able to find a copy of 7.0 and I can only make my 6.5 work
>on an old computer that I keep around simply for running YO.

         The main feature 7.0 added was global optimization.
This insures the simulator looks at all possible permutations
and does not get stuck on a local optimization.  K6STI
published an article about this in July 2000 CQ Magazine.

         Unfortunately Brian is now completely out of the
ham software business.  It's impossible to purchase a copy
without the seller violating the licensing agreement (i.e. even
reselling a used copy is not allowed).

         Regarding the 205BA, you might search for N6BV's
optimizations which at one time were in ARRL's Antenna
Book (not sure which editions).  Yes you can improve Yagi
performance by going to fewer elements sometimes (not
to mention less wind loading, weight, etc).

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV