Re: [TowerTalk] Please your opinion of C31XR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Please your opinion of C31XR
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 00:21:27 +0000
Took a little while to figure out who started this thread, as
very quickly folks are posting responses to other folks'
posts... it was WP3C.  He asked about a single-boom
10/15/20m beam that would work better than his current
TH7.

 From the looks of it, WP3C works a fair bit of those evil
contests.

If one is taking continental honors or often up there
in world top 5 or 10, then the C31 is definitely worth
using instead of a TH7, for only one reason:

separate feeders

Making one tribander do more, if that is all you have,
trumps pretty much any other desirable attribute a
tribander can have, especially if your interest is radiosport.
Small differences in gain, F/R, warm-&-fuzzies looking at
SWR meter or the like fall far short of having more
antennas.

I work mostly WARC bands outside those evil contests
& if I were lucky enough to have what WP3C currently
has & were further lucky enough to be struggling with what
to do next, the A3WS would be binned (WARC bands are
okay from DX-side without a beam) & replaced with a C31.
The C31's boom would be fed a la N4KG, resulting in a
second rotary antenna for 40m.  If space is a problem,
I would downmix the TH7 into something shorter, like a
TH4, to make it all fit.

73, VR2BrettGraham.