[TowerTalk] Ameritron and Array Solutions antenna switches -question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ameritron and Array Solutions antenna switches -question
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 23:30:43 -0400
All this talk about Ameritron and A/S antenna relays has just hit my
radar screen and I have a question. First off, I know and respect Jay
tremendously, have bought from him in the past, will do so again (and
again and again), but on this issue, I'm curious. What does Jay's RAT
Pack or SIX PACK do than the Ameritron RCS- series boxes don't do?

I was thinking of buying the RCS-12 automatic remote switch at Dayton
but now I'm thinking a little and would really like to understand
what the primary differences are. I run single-op pretty well
exclusively. I'm planning on converting 4 runs of RG-213 going up the
tower now to just one run of 1/2" Heliax (with one of the 213 lines
available as backup), then a remote switch at the top with 3 yagis
and an inverted vee.

I'd like to consider switching the C31XR over to tri-feed at the same
time as my 40m yagi goes up this summer, so that would complicate
matters, of course.

Power-wise I run an Ameritron AL-1200 for the moment fed with a Mark
V. It'll coast at legal limit with about 110W in.

I also have a second HF transceiver that I was thinking of adding to
the mix, hence my interest in the six-pack. But if I keep it simple
and just go with a straight-forward remote coax switch, what would
Jay's products do (at extra cost) that the Ameritron wouldn't? Since
I'm not a high-performance station compared to contest stations with
stacks, etc, would one of the fancier switches be overkill for my needs?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Peter,
W2IRT