Re: [TowerTalk] 160m 1/4 wave vertical help needed

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m 1/4 wave vertical help needed
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 04:55:43 -0700
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 00:04:55 -0400 (EDT), donovanf@starpower.net wrote:

>Suggest you try an instrument that operates at transmitter power levels,
>such an a VSWR meter or an LP-100 Digital Wattmeter (my favorite),
>before you pull any more hair out.

Strongly agree. Also, remember that the radiation resistance of an ideal
quarter wave vertical is on the order of 37 ohms, lower for a shorter
radiator. The loss resistance of the ground system you describe will bring
it closer 50 ohms, and improving it will lower it. In other words, you
should see about 1:1 with the first ground system, and maybe 1.2:1 when you
add the radials.

Jim K9YC