[TowerTalk] Recabling tubular tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Recabling tubular tower
From: "Trottman Compound" <superfly@tetonwireless.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:17:45 -0600
I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in the archives so thought I
would ask the question: How do you recable/disassemble a 40' tubular tower?

I have an old Tristao 2 section 40 footer and I can't get the two sections
apart. For one thing, the "key" that guides the upper mast and keeps it from
turning has come loose due to the bolts vibrating in the wind and "egging"
out the holes that hold the key onto the mast. I am trying to take the two
masts apart and survey the situation and see what I can do to get it back in
service. I can get the upper 3" mast out about 15 feet, but then it gets all
bound up and won't budge. I wish I could xray what is going on in the last
few feet of the 4.5" lower pipe where it is all bound up.

Is there a schematic of how the cable is held on to the mast somewhere? Is
this the same design as Wilson and USTowers MA40?

I thought I might try JBWelding the key in place since the bolt holes are
all stripped and egged. That is if I can get the dang thing apart!

Thanks for any info.

Matt-K7BG