Re: [TowerTalk] 160m Vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m Vertical
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 07:23:11 -0400 (EDT)
To confirm Terry's model, my 160M 4-square uses 122.5 foot military
towers similar in cross section to Rohn 45.  The towers are mounted on
12 inch base insulators intended for AM broadcast stations.  60 radials
approximately 120 feet long terminate  at the bottom of the base
insulators, approximately four inches above the ground.  An 8 inch wire
runs from the bottom of the tower to the transmission line at the
bottom of the base insulator, making the overall vertical height just
over 123 feet.  The towers are guyed at three levels using non
conductive guys; however, the tower is slight loading by 9 three foot
long conductive guy grips.

The towers resonate (R=29, X=0) at 1790 kHz (just below the band, as
required in a 4-square) as measured by an LP-100.  The LP-100 also
measures SWR (50 ohms), but I made no record of SWR since its not
useful in determining resonance.

My opinion -- FWIW -- is that all of Steve's perceived problems derive
from using inappropriate test equipment for measuring the impedance of
a full size 160 meter vertical.  There's no apparent problem in any
aspect of the design of Steve's antenna, although there are a few small
compromises that we all make, but they should have little effect on the
results.

73!
Frank
W3LPL