Re: [TowerTalk] winch to lift tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] winch to lift tower
From: Carmine W Prestia Jr <cwp101@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 11:15:16 -0500
Quoting katy white <katywhite@hotmail.com>:

> I wish to lift a 60' Bergey tower.  They sell a winch kit that
> attaches a winch to a guy anchor.  The kit is pretty expensive.  To
> use my own winch, what would you recommend I attach the winch
> to..bumper of truck or?

When planning to put up my tower I originally thought about using a
truck with winch.  If you are going to do that I recommend having
someone with a significant engineering background calculate the force
needed at the point the lifting cable is attached to the tower.  Mine
calculated to be 4,000 pounds of lifting force needed at horizontal.
Of course that decreases as the tower moves toward verticle.  It
depends on the cable angles so plan accordingly.  There are a lot of
light duty winches out there.

--
Carmine W Prestia Jr
K3CWP