Re: [TowerTalk] Towers, and bedrock

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Towers, and bedrock
From: "Richard Elizondo" <relizondo@ionoscom.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 23:54:54 -0600
Joe had the right idea, and seems to have done a great job from the pictures
on his website.

The method used by Joe is what is known as an "above ground attached gravity
block". We have used it a few times when these conditions have occurred. Now
keep in mind, we build larger commercial towers, but for the most part, the
same design rules apply.

You should consult a local PE, but here is an unofficial breakdown of what
should need to be done.

#1 - Attach the structural cage rebar onto the bedrock by clearing the area,
drilling holes and grouting (or epoxy) it into place. I would recommend
getting a large hammer-drill with a bit that can bore at least 36" deep (48"
preferable).

#2 Build the remainder of the foundation cage above ground, tying back to
the rebar in the bedrock. Depending on the type of tower and allowable wind
times its original volume.

Grounding is a whole different issue. I have some dirty tricks that have
worked very well for us in the past, but are not cheap.

Stay safe,

Richard Elizondo
Senior Consultant
Ionos Communications