Re: [TowerTalk] Wireman Balun kits

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wireman Balun kits
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 00:22:35 -0800
On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 23:58:11 -0500, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

>What I'm planning on winding is a
>1:1 balun where both sides of the antenna are at aDC ground

I understand what you said, but there's some muddy thinking. If
you're thinking lightning protection, remember that MOST of the
energy in lightning is NOT DC, it is predominantly RF with a DC
component. The ENERGY in lightning (what fries things) has a VERY
broad peak centered around 1 MHz (and if you operate much 80M, your
ears tell you that there's still plenty up there). A DC connection
has little relevance to lightning. What matters is the RF path for
lightning induced current.

Again, I strongly urge that you study what I have published.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC