Re: [TowerTalk] Johnson Matchbox

To: "'jim Jarvis'" <jimjarvis@optonline.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Johnson Matchbox
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:00:46 -0400
With AM modulation the plate voltage doubles with 100% modulation so peak
envelope power is increased by a factor of 4.

With the plate modulated AM transmitter having an efficiency around 70% or
so, with 1 kw carrier input that would produce around 700 watts carrier out.
With full modulation the voltage of the signal would double so the peak
envelope power would increase by 4 times. That would put the peak envelope
power at 2800 watts out.

The old 1 kw rated tuner should easily handle 1500 watts PEP.

The 275 watt tuner, used with a 275 watt input rig should put out 192 watts
of carrier (275x.7) and the Peak envelope power out would be 4 times that or
768 watts.

73
Gary  K4FMX