Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: Most Connectors sold to Hams are JUNK

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: Most Connectors sold to Hams are JUNK
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 08:04:47 -0700
On Tue, 20 May 2008 04:09:09 -0400, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

> I stand by the premise that were there not a market
>for the cheap stuff few of this type of vendor would exist.  It's
>unfortunate, but a large number exist who want to pay as little as
>possible for "something good enough to work"

I believe that those who buy JUNK parts are doing so out of ignorance,
not intentionally. I was inactive on HF from the mid-80's up to 2003.
When I got back on the air and began acquiring radios, I bought a
bunch of connectors to mate with the various accessory jacks on the
back of my radios. I found the DINS at RF Connection, and bought
something like a half dozen of each. When I tried to use them a year
or so later, I found them to be junk. When I called to complain, I was
told that hams only buy cheap and that they had no intention of
selling anything different.

I didn't buy these parts because they were cheap -- I had been off the
air for nearly 20 years, and didn't know that the market had gone to
garbage. But I got stuck with a box full of JUNK connectors. You will
also find what appear to be the same or equivalent JUNK in the Digikey
catalog. The ONLY clue is price.

Thankfully, I didn't have that problem with the Molex connectors that
I bought to mate with Ten Tec radios and power amps.

73,

Jim K9YC