Re: [TowerTalk] Castastrophic Consequences of Connector Failure?

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Castastrophic Consequences of Connector Failure?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:05:44 -0700
On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:16:24 -0400, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

>I wonder what the probability of expensive damage is if an antenna
>connector, or adapter has a "hard" failure, i.e. an open or short
>circuit/flashover, etc.

It all depends on the luck of the draw with the particular
amplifier you're running. I own three Ten Tec Titan 425 amps (the
original). These are good amps, but the only protection is for hot
switching of the T/R relay. Anything that causes the power supply
to ARC can take out semiconductors, and can burn up traces in the
power supply. If you can work on the amp yourself, you can fix it
yourself in 4-16 hours (4 hours if you've seen it before, know what
to look for, and have the parts in stock, 16 or more hours if you
don't). If you have to send it to Ten Tec, it can be BLOODY
EXPENSIVE -- they need both the RF deck and the power supply!

A serious mismatch of the load to the amp can cause excessive grid
current in the final tubes, which is well known as a major failure
mechanism in those tubes, (3CX800A7s). That can also be BLOODY
EXPENSIVE.

Putting it in dollars, saving $1 on a connector can easily cost you
a lot of hours on the bench or $1,000 to someone else. Can you say
"Pennywise and Pound Foolish?"

73,

Jim K9YC