Re: [TowerTalk] Installing HG52SS

To: Lou Laderman <lladerman@earthlink.net>, Bert Almemo <balmemo@sympatico.ca>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Installing HG52SS
From: <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:02:50 -0500
Hi Bert,
One element missing from the equation is the risk analysis: given the planned
site for the tower, will it
fall on anything? Is that anything yours, or a neighbours? Could it fall on
people?

If the first answer is no, then the risk is largely to the tower and antennas.

But one thing that seems to stick out is the difference in windload: you say
the tower is rated at 9.5
sq.ft. and later you make reference to 15 sq.ft. Is that the windload you're
planning? If so, you're
increasing the risk beyond merely undersizing the base and hoping to make it up
with guys. It looks
like you're overloading the tower. Whether guys at 20 feet give you added
windload is something only
an engineer could explain.

And, consider this: an engineering analysis is going to cost you way more than
the 1.7 yards of
concrete you're saving. You could probably even pay for a backhoe to dig for
you with what it would
cost for a proper analysis.

I would suggest the choice is between sticking with the LXC prime directive and
not installing the tower
at all.

73, kelly
ve4xt

> From: Lou Laderman <lladerman@earthlink.net>
> Date: 2008/08/12 Tue AM 09:15:46 CDT
> To: Bert Almemo <balmemo@sympatico.ca>,  towertalk@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Installing HG52SS
>
> Absent an engineering analysis that what you're proposing will be adequate,
> and that the streeses
from the guys won't compromise the structure, I wouldn't deviate from the
manufacturere's engineered
foundation requirment. Too dangerous.