Re: [TowerTalk] Guy anchors in rock

To: k8isk@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy anchors in rock
From: Dino Darling <dino@k6rix.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:05:36 -0800
Sure.  But there is always that level of UNKNOWN.  We have big
boulders rolling down the hills here in Southern CA all the time.

At the very least, be willing to loose the tower system and if it
falls, make sure it doesn't hit anything important.  My GUESS, is it
would be good for the rest of your life, but that is only a guess.

There is a guy in Colorado (can't remember the website) who had his
tower foundation mounted onto a big rock.  He had an engineer check
it out, bored holes into the rock and used epoxy to secure the
rebar.  As far as I know, its still vertical and working perfect.

At 10:24 AM 11/10/2008, k8isk@comcast.net wrote:
>Anyone ever use BIG rocks for guy anchors? I am erecting a 100' Rohn
>55 tower on a mountain side and there are LARGE (the size of cars)
>rock outcroppings that are not cracked, not sandstone, dark
>gray/black rocks that are conveniently located.

Dino - K6RIX
dino@k6rix.com