Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting Polyphaser to SPG

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting Polyphaser to SPG
From: "Kenneth R. Goodwin, Jr." <krgoodwin@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:50:29 -0500
Over on the house side of this 15 foot separation, the station ground
system and electrical ground will be tied together.  At the corner of
the house closest to the antenna SPG, I plan to extend/retract coaxes
and control lines from the house to that antenna SPG.  So my
QUESTION:  Should the ground wire connecting the station/house system
to the antenna SPG also be disconnected during storms (like the coax
and other lines)?

Not having the electrical ground and the station ground as one and
the same violates the concept of a SPG.  However, for most of us
tying them together with a ground wire between them is the best that
can be done.  I used additional ground rods for this large copper
wire connection buried in the ground.

Lightning: Understand It or Suffer the Consequences by W4QEJ in the
February/April issues of QST is an excellent source on why having a
SPG to protect against the higher probability of a near-field
lightning hit works.  Also I completely agree with the comment made
on disconnecting the antenna/radio lines - it is just not a good plan.

Ken K5RG