Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA data files

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA data files
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:26:37 -0700
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:56:14 -0700, Jim Brown wrote:

> Luckily lithuanian landscape is quite flat so real terrain data would
>not be far from flat data. Finally I think GPS also could help me or my
>friends to find real data.

That certainly makes it easier. I just thought of another way to get
this data. The program GOOGLE EARTH uses a world wide database of
satellite photographic and terrain data. The accuracy and level of
detail of this data varies widely from one location to another, even
within the same country. Once you find your location, you can use the
"RULER" function to draw radials and measure their length. You can also
turn the viewpoint so that you are perpendicular to that line (that is,
you are looking at the line sideways, and from a low angle) and you will
see how the terrain goes up and down. And as you move your cursor, there
is a window at the bottom of the screen that gives the elevation of the
cursor.

Google Earth is FREE, and is both VERY useful and very interesting. At
my QTH, you can see my house and my ham shack, even the skylight windows
on the roof.

73,

Jim K9YC