Re: [TowerTalk] RG218

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG218
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 20:20:51 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Jim,

RG-218/U is probably best known by its original designator: RG-17/U

When I first built my station I used thousands of feet of RG-17 and RG-218, I
have only 500 feet in use now.  I've been trying to give my used RG-218/U and
RG-17/U away, so far there have been only tire-kickers and no takers!

A variety of connectors are available for RG-218, all of them are expensive.
Most of mine are type HN connectors, I still use silver plated HN connectors
extensively in my station.   I also have a large quantity of high power LC
connectors for RG-218, but these are  expensive to adapt to!

W3GRF gave me my first RG-218 back in the early 1970s.  He always soldered and
waterproofed pigtails of RG-213 directly onto the RG-218 with no connectors.  I
think its a good idea given the high cost of connectors.  As Lenny often said,
"the DX will never know the difference."

RG-218 uses solid dielectric, so its much heavier per foot than modern foam
dielectic cable.

There is a common problem with RG-218 or RG-17 if you hang it vertically on a
tower: the dielectric and center conductor tend to slowly creep inside the
shield!  This makes connectors unreliable...

73
Frank
W3LPL