Re: [TowerTalk] Reduced size receiving antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com, K3VX <k3vx@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reduced size receiving antennas
From: <ai2n@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:49:33 -0500
I have used pennant antennas scaled to approximately 70% (10' x 20-1/2')and 85%
(12' x 25')of the "approved" 14' x 29' version.  They are directional but have
low outputs.  Use of a preamp is mandatory.

I still have a 5' per side "diamond" in my garage attic.  VERY low output, but
directional.  Good for listening stateside in one ear.

I now have a pair of 14' x 29' reversible flag antennas on an adjacent city
lot.  Much more output than the 85% scale pennant.

BUT, I agree with my friend Gene, who turned me on to pennants in the first
place; I still can't hear anywhere near as well as the folks with beverages.
City noise levels do not help.

73, Redd - AI2N