Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator loops

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator loops
From: "Anthony W. DePrato" <wa4jqs@mikrotec.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 08:55:25 -0500
At 08:11 AM 2/27/2010, you wrote:
>Pete-
>
>That's what I use at the transition at the flat top of my Rohn 45.
>Essentially it's a one-turn loop around the mast before being
>secured to the mast. Out of concern for chafing against the top
>plate or thrust bearing, I add an outer layer of plastic wire loom
>on the coax. Hopefully that will prevent the coax jacket from chafing thru...
>
>-Tony, K1KP

Tony good ideal on the plastic loom. i wrapped my 40 meter beam about
10 years ago and after about 6 yrs started getting a lot of static
when i turned the ant. then noticed the SWR would go up and down
after moving the ant sometimes. when i got time to go up the tower i
found the outer jacket had rubbed thru to the braid an was shorting
out on the tower.. had to cut out that section and redo it i also
used a plastic loom and after another 5 years no problems as yet.
have to go up and work on the Warc beam above the 40 mt beam this
summer and will check and see how it has worked.
73 Tony WA4JQS