Re: [TowerTalk] N - clamp style connector

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N - clamp style connector
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 09:23:05 -0800
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:57:55 -0800, Steve Katz wrote:

>But a lot of us are using stuff like 9913, LMR400 etc. which is actually
>undersized cable with a thinner vinyl jacket than found on RG214/U.

I ran into a similar problem putting PL259s onto Commscope 2427K, which is a
plenum version of their excellent 3227 (LMR400 equivalent). The cable has the
same conductors as 3227, but dielectric and jacket that are plenum rated. The
plenum jacket is much thinner than a normal jacket, so the cable o.d. is only
about 0.35-inch, and is quite loose in the connectors. I solved the problem
by putting two layers of heat shrink over the cable at each connector (and
shrinking them prior to installing the connectors. It then screwed tightly
into the connector to provide the mechanical strength. Perhaps not as much as
a full size jacket, but good. There was no electrical problem -- the o.d. of
the shield was such that connections soldered quite nicely.

73,

Jim K9YC