Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shack wiring
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:02:01 -0700
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:31:11 EDT, HansLG@aol.com wrote:

>Hi Jim,
>
>I still don't get it (maybe because I am dumb). At my service entrance  is
>a protector that connects has two MOVs, one from each leg to ground.  Ground
>in this case is the same as neutral

That's very good (assuming it's a good unit).

>At the water pump is also a protector
>that has MOVs frm the two legs (the pump is a 240 V pump) and ground.

What is that "ground?"  EXACTLY where is it connected? Is there any control
wiring
running from the water pump to anything else?  How much inductance is in the
green
wire between there and the service entrance ground?  These additional MOVs have
the
potential to cause a destructive failure. It is SAFE to have an MOV from Line
Line at that point.

>In the
> shack I have a protector that connects MOVs from neutral AND the hot 120 V
>leg  to ground. It also incorporate a protecting circuits for my phone, it
>has two  gas discharge tubes between the line and ground.

Same questions -- what is that "ground?"  EXACTLY where is it connected? Is
there
any control wiring running from the shack to anything else? How much inductance
is
in the green wire between there and the service entrance ground?  These
additional
MOVs have the potential to cause a destructive failure. It is SAFE to have an
MOV
from Line to Neutral at that point.

>Should I disconnect al MOVs that are connected to ground ??? As I wrote to
>you earlier, my house has had two registered lightning hits (and possible a
> couple of more we don't know about) and everything survived.
>
>Can anyone describe the failure mode that makes the MOV from the hot leg to
>ground bad?

I've done that several times in earlier posts. See also pages 29 and 30 of

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SurgeXPowerGround.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC