Re: [TowerTalk] coax stubs /bandpass filter

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] coax stubs /bandpass filter
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:17:13 -0400
I don't think that you can do much better than if you regard the output of
the pi network of an amp as a low pass filter. It is not resonant at the
harmonic frequency and acts just as a low pass filter with a low source
impedance at the output of the amp at the harmonic frequency.

Placing the stub a quarter wave away from the output of the amp you will
have it at a relatively high impedance point. If at that point (where the
stub is attached) the impedance of the line is modified by any reflections
from the antenna end of the line it will only help. If the reflection causes
a higher impedance then the stub will still provide the same amount of
attenuation. If there is a lower impedance caused then that lower impedance
will further attenuate the harmonic somewhat as if there was another stub
attached to the line.

73
Gary  K4FMX