[TowerTalk] Power Distribution

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Power Distribution
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 09:54:45 -0700
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:08:25 -0400, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> >> ##  If the business's  don't get a neutral... then how do the
> >> business's obtain 120 vac ??

>Their supply is either 120/208 (e.g. wye or star) with neutral
>being the center of the wye or they need to install their own
>480 to 240/120 transformer on premesis.

That's ordinary 3-phase power.

The High Leg Delta distribution that I described is 240V Delta. A
pure delta configuration has no neutral. The High Leg Delta is
different -- ONE side of the delta is center-tapped to provide a
neutral. A single phase user gets THAT center-tapped leg. A 3-
phase user gets all three phases (and perhaps the neutral). There
is 208V between neutral and the leg opposite the center tap.
That's the High Leg. Also called Wild Leg.

High Leg Delta is VERY widely used in cities and towns where there
are small businesses and residences on the same street, because
the same simple system can be used to feed all of them. It's also
what's I have up here in the Santa Cruz Mountains, fairly far off
the beaten track.

Think about WHY there is 3-phase power -- it's because nearly all
mains power comes from 3-phase generators, AND because big motors
want to run on 3-phase power. For other uses, single phase power
is just as efficient. AND single phase power doesn't have the
neutral harmonic current problem.

When most loads connected to the power system drew sinusoidal
current, designers could minimize neutral current by balancing
loads between the three phases. That hasn't been true for at least
40 years -- remember the Towering Inferno?  There was a real one,
and the root cause was that the neutral current was nearly double
the current on a phase! That's what happens when nearly all loads
are rich in harmonics. That includes virtually anything with a
power supply, and all lighting except for old fashioned
incandescent light bulbs. Nowadays, even big motors run on pulsed
3-phase power, so the power supplies that create those pulses are
all harmonics!

73, Jim K9YC