Re: [TowerTalk] A different question (I think) on SPG

To: "Gary E. Jones" <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A different question (I think) on SPG
From: n8de@thepoint.net
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 12:19:12 -0400
Gary,

Your thinking isn't 'crooked', so it doesn't need straightening.

You are confused by the term SPG.  It does NOT mean that EVERYTHING is
tied to ONE POINT!

The ground you have outside your shack is the SPG for your
equipment/shack, provided all 'boxes' in the shack are tied to it and
not simply to each other.

The common practice, many years ago, was the 'daisy-chain' the ground
from box to box to box, etc ... and then ONE wire went to ground.
This is a problem waiting to happen.

Tie EACH of the 'boxes' in the shack to the SPG outside with SEPARATE
ground wires.  Thus, the SPG you have serves its purpose.

The grounds at each tower are great for dissipating the initial 'blow'
if struck, but NOTHING will keep the 'strike current' from travelling
from tower to shack.

The idea is to MINIMIZE the potential damage.

Good luck
73
Don
N8DE