Re: [TowerTalk] Distance from exciter, amp, tuner, dummy load, antenna

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Distance from exciter, amp, tuner, dummy load, antenna
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 10:51:36 -0700
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 13:10:01 -0400, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

>I think I can get around this by adding a coax switch (Alpha Delta - 2)
>between the amp and tuner, so instead of selecting the dummy load on the
>aux position, I just use the coax switch. It means two switches instead
>of one and I've been trying to keep it simple.  The original Alpha Delta
>- 2 switch between the exciter and amp that allows selecting the exciter
>or antenna analyzer would stay in place. I've had very good luck with
>these switches.

My results have been mixed. When they work, they're fine. I have five
1x4s. I One came with a mfg defect that made the #4 position not work,
and it could not have made it through final test if there was a final
test, so there must have not been a final test. :)  I have another that
went bad, again with a position that doesn't work. 40% failure rate puts
them in MFJ territory. :)  On the other hand, when they do work, the
signal path is good enough for 2M. Maybe even on 440 -- haven't measured
it carefully.

73, Jim K9YC