Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of the HAM Series of rotators...How doyoutell t

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of the HAM Series of rotators...How doyoutell the difference.
From: n8de@thepoint.net
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:53:46 -0400
Roger,
One thing you might try is this:

connect the rotor to a control box, and then push the 'brake' lever.

Listen closely to the 'noise' it makes.

If the sound appears to come from the BOTTOM of the lower housing, it
may be a HAM-M or similar family.

If the sound appears to come from the SIDE of the lower housing, it
might be a HAM-III, HAM-IV, or T2X, but I'm sure all the T2X rotor
housings have definite markings you can't confuse with the others.

NOW ... if you'd like to dispose of any of them,  I'M INTERESTED!!

73,
Don
N8DE

Quoting "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>:

> On 10/26/2010 4:18 PM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>>
>> On 10/26/2010 5:34 AM, Todd Coulter wrote:
>>> Roger,
>>>
>>> Maybe this page from Norm's Rotor Service will help.
>> A little, but I already know it's a ham series due to the extended brake
>> housing that adds about 4" to the height.
>>
>> What I can't find are any designations stamped on the base of the
>> housing. I'm assuming that means the bottom outside of the base?  There
>> is no mast extension to cover the base. There is a single digit followed
>> by a dash and IIRC 3 digits,
>
> Those numbers are 5 604 (space between the 5 and 604) and are the only
> thing on the base.There is nothing on the outside of the base cover
> which is the brake and nothing on the bell.
>
> It appears to be a Ham IV, but could be a older Ham M and I do not know
> how to tell them apart based on appearance and parts.
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)
>> but nothing that resembles the codes
>> depicted on norms page which BTW if you wear bifocals is very difficult
>> to read with the text overlaying the charts.
>>
>> Even then, there is nothing to tell me what's different between the
>> different models even if I do find a designation which seems to be
>> missing. The controller is just the generic "ham" controller.
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Roger (K8RI)
>>> http://rotorservice.com/serv3%20identify.htm
>>>

>>> 73's