Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower work safety - Lyme Disease safety

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower work safety - Lyme Disease safety
From: <mike@n1ta.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 07:53:24 -0700
Yes, while the match, jelly, contact cement, etc. may work, they have an
awful side effect. The tick will regurgitate toxins back into you when
it is unable to breath or under stress. So, with these methods, you
might be able to get the tick out. But what it leaves behind will be far
worse. Get a pair of narrow-tip tweezers, squeeze as close to the head
as you can, and pull out in one swift motion -- don't twist.

I had one in my shin about three weeks ago (and I might get 2 or 3 every
summer it seems); the tweezers work best and I don't mess around with
the matches or jelly anymore -- it's not worth the risk. Ticks can carry
diseases far worse than lyme.

Locally (WMass), there seems to be more than normal. Might be due to the
early spring (or lack of winter). So be careful when doing tower and
antenna work this year.

Mike N1TA