Re: [TowerTalk] MA-40 Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MA-40 Tower
From: "Dino Darling" <dino@kx6d.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 12:31:50 -0700
The MA-40 base plate is 3/4" thick, 8" square A36 plate. The bolt holes
are 3/4" on 5.5" centers.

The MA-550 base plate is 1" thick, 8" square A36 plate. The bolt holes
are 1" on 5.5" centers.

Notice the similarities?

I have suggested in the past that people build the MA-550 footing and
have their MA-40 base holes drilled out to 1" holes. MAKE SURE THE BOLTS
STICK UP HIGH ENOUGH TO ACCOMMODATE A 1" THICK PLATE! You also have to
make sure you space the tower away from any interference (the house) to
clear the 6" tube and the 6' tall MARB of the MA-550.

This way, in the future, if you ever decide you want a MA-550, the
footing is already to go! Then you can sell your MA-40 complete with the
base to re-coup some of your costs!

Here in Southern CA a ham was "approved" for a 40' tubular tower. We
built the base for the MA-550 and converted the 40's base. He installed
the MA-40 and got signed off by the city inspector. We did NOT install
the antenna as the antenna is NOT part of the permit...only the "support
structure". Another note, we did not install the 15' mast either! This
would have added 10' to the tower. The next weekend we took down the
MA-40 and installed the MA-550, the 15' mast (10' exposed) and the
antenna. The MA-40 was sold for the same price he paid for the used
MA-550.

It was only cranked up to the 40' level for a while as I'm told. Not
sure how high he has it up today. 60+ feet sounds about right.

Just something to think about!

Dino - KX6D