Re: [TowerTalk] Coax, conduit and toroids

To: kiessig@gmail.com,TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax, conduit and toroids
From: Missouri Guy <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 04:14:51 +0000
> What should I do to help ensure that the inside of the conduit stays
> dry? Is
> applying some sort of weatherproof sealing compound to each end
> enough?

Rick,

I have a large "conduit" running 200' to one of my towers.  So, speaking
from experience, there is no easy way to keep water
out unless you want to pressurize the conduit with say, dry nitrogen
gas.   That isn't going to happen!!  :D)
Air will get in there even if you attempt to seal it off, and
then it will just form condensate in the cool ground.
Mold will grow, etc etc.

I found the best way (for me, anyway) is to
install a Tee connector at both ends of the run.  Face
the Tee part downward and screen it over to
keep out bugs, snakes, or whatever.  Air will flow through
your conduit everytime the wind blows and will keep things
nice and dry.  Here in the US, and probably in AU, there are
some screened aluminum louvers that will work for most
of the larger conduits (like, in my case, 4" PVC tubing).

As for your other questions...there are some experts on
the list who will address those.

73,
Charlie, N0TT