Re: [TowerTalk] Yet another worm gear box failure...

To: "Scott MacKenzie" <kb0fhp@verizon.net>, KJ6Y@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yet another worm gear box failure...
From: "Dino Darling" <dino@kx6d.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 16:45:27 -0700
I do have some photos of K6CF's failure and it is exactly as Skip
mentioned. I'll get those to you. However, I don't think there is any
real close-ups of the shaft. But you can CLEARLY see what broke!

Skip, thanks for the clarification on Mike's failure being the shaft. I
should have made that more clear in my first message. Again, this is the
failure K6CF had too...same place also! Chris' tower used to belong to
Jim Rafferty, N6RJ (SK). Jim would have purchased only the best at the
time.

As for the shaft failure; its unfortunate that they did not support the
shaft on BOTH ends of the multigroove pully! I was going to mention
blocking the first two sections together and taking that stress off of
pulleys when not in use. US Tower does this on their military tower
trailers and I've seen them on their towers sold to the Cell Phone
companies. However, every failure has happened during transit that I'm
aware of. Block it as you go if you are worried about it!

If it was me, I'd modify the original 1" shaft models or replace it with
a newer system. I think the modification would be easy enough though.

Dino - KX6D