Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 - can connectors be recycled?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 - can connectors be recycled?
From: Gary K9GS <k9gs@gjschwartz.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 14:52:03 -0500
Wear some safety glasses if you're blowing melted solder.  Maybe wear gloves
and long sleeves too.73,Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: amfone via TowerTalk
<towertalk@contesting.com> Date: 7/14/24  1:54 PM  (GMT-06:00) To:
towertalk@contesting.com, David Shindler <david.shindler@pro-bio.ca> Subject:
Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 - can connectors be recycled?  Yes its done all the
time,  no reason to toss out the PL 259. Heat the center, pull out the cable,
then heat the center, blow out any remaining solder, if needed, clean any
remaining on the out side. Be careful not to melt the insulation between the
center and outer part ( ground ). And yes first unscrew the sleeve and run it
down the cable that you will remove, so you can use the sleeve again.Take your
time and you will do fine.TimWB8UHZ    On Sunday, July 14, 2024 at 01:44:43 PM
EDT, David Shindler <david.shindler@pro-bio.ca> wrote:    Colleagues, Thanks
all for discussion and good advice on co-ax connectors.I have some old (at
least 50 yrs) silver-plated PL-259 connectors that presumably are good quality.
The problem is that they are properly and solidly soldered to co-ax. Has anyone
had success at desoldering PL-259 connectors and removing the co-ax.? If so,
any guidance on how to do this would be appreciated.  (I do not have
professional de-soldering tools - just the basics.)David,
 mailing
listTowerTalk@contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/towertalk