Re: [TowerTalk] rebar

To: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rebar
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:53:30 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

-----Original Message-----

The failure analysis literature says that this only happens if there's water
between rebar and concrete, not just water absorbed into the concrete.  Mind
you, in my youth, I've spalled concrete in my parent's garage by building a
(very) hot fire on top of the surface (much to their dismay).  But that was the
layer of finish coat on top of the lower concrete, and it was a very hot, very
localized heat (not quite thermite, but close), so the thermal stresses were
very high.  I could see surface spalling occurring from lightning traveling
over the surface of the concrete.  Typical dissipation per unit length for a
stroke in air is around 100kJ/meter, and I would expect a similar sort of
dissipation for a surface/creeping discharge.  On the other hand, this would be
surface spalling, not wholesale fracture.